Let’s chat about candle safety. It’s important to be careful with any candle but magic candles and healing candles like you get at Lumos Collective are powerful. So I want to make sure that everyone is aware of best practices when it comes to using our candles.
Trust me, I’ve been there before. In the picture above, you can’t see where I not only once but twice lit that desk on fire when I first started to learn to use candles for the purpose of magic. So let’s dive in.
Before using your candle
Did you know there are a few things you should do before you even start using your candle? Some of our candles come with larger florals, you will want to remove those and enjoy them close by. For our candles that have small bits of botanicals, they are fine to burn in there. It’s also up to you if you keep your crystals in your candles or not.
Your candle will come with the wick pre-trimmed, but you should check your wick before lighting it up each time.
Ensure that there is nothing around your candle that could catch on fire easily (these vessels do get hot!)
Make sure your candle won’t be by an open window, right by a fan, or somewhere it can easily fall.
Have a plan in mind in case the worst does happen (i.e. a fire). Check out some suggestions at the bottom for putting out candles
While in use
Who doesn’t love burning a candle for hours all over their house? I sure do! But let’s talk about some best practices with our candles.
Don’t have your candles somewhere that a pet or child can easily get to it
Don’t leave a candle unattended (this means be in the room with your candle…this was part of the problem when I lit my own desk on fire. eep!)
Don’t leave a candle burning overnight or while you are sleeping
Don’t move your candle while it’s lit
Only burn your candle for four hours or less at a time then allow it to cool for two hours before using again
When it’s time to let your candle go
If you’re like me, you probably had no idea that there comes a time that you need to let your candle go. I grew up burning candles till the very last drop of wax was burned. Yet, that isn’t actually how you are supposed to use candles. Letting them burn like this can cause fires and for the container to crack! Which nobody wants.
When you have 1.5cm left of wax, it’s time to say goodbye to your candle (of course, let it cool before you recycle or repurpose that container)
In the event of a fire
I hope this is never something that happens with any of your candles but in the event that it does, here are some tips.
Most candles are made with fragrance oil so it’s very important that you don’t try and put the fire out with water or it can cause more flames
You want to snuff the fire out with a fire proof item such as a candle lid, ceramic plate, etc.
Were any of these tips surprising to you?! Let me know in the comments.